Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Finally Feeling Festive

It snowed all day Saturday.  I baked Christmas cookies to send to family and did a little decorating.  We invited friends for dinner, so Pete smoked a pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches.  He was in and out of the house the whole day, tending his fire and adding cherry wood to the smoker.  He loved it. And it was really delicious.  I made a simple cole slaw with vinaigrette and homemade applesauce to go with it.  We all ate too much.  Our friends brought a big poinsettia, which has added much needed color to the kitchen on these drab days.  They also brought along their 11 week old French bulldog who is beyond adorable.  Cairo was beside himself, and was totally exhausted by little Teddy. 

It's snowing again today.  I am wrapping up packages and packing boxes to go to the Post Office.  I know its late, but I will never be the kind of person who has all the presents bought and wrapped before Halloween.   I ordered something just this morning -- I am a big online shopper.  I don't do the crowds in the big box stores.  I'm knitting a pair of socks for my daughter, with yarn I bought on our trip to Rome a couple of years ago. I'm hoping I can finish them faster than the first pair I knit, which took me about 6 months!
We've had a couple of invitations for New Year's, but we think we will stay put.  It's nice to be at home with the Christmas lights sparkling, a good book, warm throw, and no demands from anyone.

No comments: