Sunday, July 20, 2014

Learning to Butt Braids with Kris McDermott


My rug hooking guild, the Peconic Ruggers, sponsored a class with rug hooker and braider Kris McDermott.  Kris, along with two of her friends, cowrote Combining Rug Hooking & Braiding: Basics, Borders, & Beyond.

She does amazing things with braids, and is an amazing teacher.  Her visual aids are great, she arrived completely prepared, and is as nice as she can be.  





Kris works with lots of interesting fibers, such as taffeta and banana silk.  Look at that sparkly stuff in the rug pictured above!  It's great to see someone venturing into new territory.

Kris had us bring two 6 inch hooked pieces to class, one round and one square with an unhooked circle in the center.  I hooked some paisley, of course, although I used a 4-cut, instead of my usual 8.  I love the way the circle looks, but  think there's too much going on in the square piece.  I'm going to quiet it down by replacing the three-color braid with a one-color braid so your eye has some place to rest.


These pieces were hooked with my sister Barb's hand dyed wool.  This combination is called Moroccan Mosaic.  (Contact her at thimblefolk@comcast.net if you are interested. Or thimblefolk.com)

It was a fun way to spend two days -- both jam-packed with information -- our hands were never idle, which is just the way I like!  For more photos tootle on over to the Peconic Ruggers.

5 comments:

Julia said...

I can see why Kris McDermott kept you all busy. That's a whole lot of braiding and hooking. Tanks for sharing.
Hugs,
JB

Julia said...

Hi again Sarah, the list of ingredient for this Ricotta cheese recipe is very short...
2 quarts of milk
3 Tablespoon of distilled white vinegar (or) 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.
a little salt to taste.

Let me know how you make out. I used raw cow milk for mine.
Hugs,
JB

Anonymous said...

Isn't Kris great? I took a class with her at the Lancaster ATHA event and thoroughly enjoyed her! Putting braids on a hooked rug is not an easy thing to do, much less teach to a room full of people, but she does it very well. She brought her sweet husband along and he was very helpful - they met at a rug braiding class, he said. What a guy! I think hooking and braiding are so good together and of course I love your paisleys!!!

Anonymous said...

Me too - I have been less inclined to blog recently as well! Perhaps it's having a great yard and veggie garden that distracts me from fiber work and the blog. It's been raining for days so I am actually in the studio today!
Happy Summer to you as well~

Julia said...

Hi Sarah, I'm so glad your ricotta cheese turned out great. Making your own cheese is great fun and a good way to impress your neighbours.

I got three new calves and will have to curtail my cheese making for a while so I can feed my calves. They drink 4 quarts of whole milk each a day, two in the morning and 2 in the late afternoon each.

Take care and enjoy your summer.
Big hugs,
JB