Friday, August 8, 2014

Lazy, Hazy Days of Summer

We've had a pretty remarkable summer so far, weather wise.  Pete and I have been swimming almost daily, in the warm water of Peconic Bay.  We are dining on the bounty of Pete's vegetable garden -- zucchini, green beans, beets, onions, Swiss Chard.  The only thing we buy is sweet corn, because we don't have the room to grow it.  Our tomatoes are just coming in, and I cannot wait to have a Caprese salad whenever I want and to make a Tomato Cobbler with our multi-colored cherry tomatoes.  


The whole summer has felt like vacation to me.  When I want to read, I sit down and read.  I've been leaving the dishes in the sink, waiting days to do the laundry.  And I have not been working much, which is sort of a problem, lol.  I should be designing new patterns and making finished goods for my fall shows.  When I read other people's blogs with my morning coffee, I see pumpkins and witches and black cats, snowmen and snowflakes and Christmas trees.  I haven't finished my Fourth of July designs yet.  

I'm teaching a class tomorrow at Farmhouse Quilts in Southold -- a good thing -- it jarred me out of  the staycation mode I've been in.  I designed a new 10 inch square mat called Southold Sunflower.  It's a simple mat, a single sunflower against a brilliant blue sky, so it lends itself to a beginner class.  I have been thinking about embellishing it with beads for added interest, but I will wait until after the class for that. 

So today, I am dyeing wool while watering the garden and packing up the car for tomorrow's class.  When its over, I'll try to get my head out of summer and into fall.  I'm a little wistful about that -- I have already noticed the shortening of days and Labor Day is three weeks away.  

3 comments:

Julia said...

Love your beautiful sunflower rug. I wish I was in vacation mode, I seem to have a hard time slowing down although having company seems to help.

I'm taking Sunday afternoon off from work on Sunday and I'm going to my daughter and husband's cottage at the lake with family.

We all need a down time to rest from the usual business of life. Fall is coming fast.

Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs,
JB

Gayle said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time! I just shared picture of wool sunflowers and sunflower quilts on my blog - realized I haven't hooked a sunflower rug yet. Yours is lovely!

Saundra said...

Great sunflower rug and LOVE your paisley pieces in a previous post. I've added your blog on the sidebar of my blog.

Saundra