Thursday, October 16, 2008

The New York State Sheep & Wool Festival . . . . . . and a UFO


This is the weekend for the Sheep & Wool Festival -- my favorite show of the year! Please come and visit us in Building A, booth 29. It looks like it will be another crisp October weekend in upstate New York and we are looking forward to visiting with all our friends from years past, as well as all newcomers.

Here's the link to the Festival's website: http://www.sheepandwool.com/

It's two days of fun and fiber at the Duchess County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck, New York. It goes from 10 am to 5 pm both Saturday and Sunday. Hope to see you there.

If you come, you'll see my mermaid rug, the centerpiece of our booth this year. This was one of those UFOs that was hanging over my head -- remember back in January when I resolved to finish some of my unfinished objects? I designed this in a great class at the Shelburne Museum in 2004 -- a dye and design class with Dick LaBarge and George Kahnle. Barb and I took the class together (she hasn't finished her rug yet!). We enjoyed our teachers so much we called the class Fun with Dick and George. They are both talented and funny guys . .

I used a lot of Barb's hand-dyed wool in the rug and am quite pleased with how how it turned out. I fought hooking it the whole way. I really dreaded doing her face. But it all worked out in the end. I call it "Cinnamon Bay Siren" after my favorite beach in the world. Now if somebody would just buy her . . . I have made a pattern of her, too, so if you want to hook up your own version, just drop an email! I'll be incommunicado til Tuesday -- unless, of course, you come to the festival.

Enjoy your weekend.

Sarah

No comments: