Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Winter Treat

I love Grenfell rugs.  I love the clean, modern look of them and the immaculate, evenly hooked rows of old stockings.  They are my all-time favorites.  I am lucky enough to own two of these prized specimens of Canadian handwork.  One, a map of Newfoundland,  I won on eBay nearly a decade ago.  The other, two sailors in a boat, is a new auction prize.  I wasn't in the market for another old mat, but when I saw it I couldn't control my bidding finger.
 For more information of the mats of the Grenfell Missions, read Paula Laverty's wonderful book, Silk Stocking Mats: Hooked Mats of the Grenfell Mission.  You can visit her website here: Grenfell Hooked Mats

3 comments:

TamboinMO said...

I love the mat with the boat....have never seen one like that before...beautiful...and modern!

susan said...

Can see why you fell for it..NICE

Andry said...

Great collection of Luxury Rugs that decorates your home.