Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mary's Runner

I know, I know -- I have been gone forever.  It's the winter doldrums, plus all sorts of chores like show applications and taxes and planning a vacation, which I cannot wait to go on.  But more about that later.

I have actually been hooking -- hooking slowly, but hooking.  My friend and good customer Mary wants a  hit or miss runner pattern for her table.  Maybe circles, maybe a log cabin pattern -- she just wants to use up her scraps.  I wanted to do something with a little more umph than a cats paw, so I came up with the design below:  circles that are sort of log cabins that turn so that the rug has some movement and excitement.
This is not an original idea -- I do believe I have seen an antique mat that uses the same idea -- but it is a good way to use up leftovers and it is far less monotinous than hooking concentric circles -- at least I think so.  I am using my favorite dark background which is really a dark green with hints of red and blue in it.  The circles take longer to hook than I imagined.  I am a pretty fast hooker in general and this is not progressing as quickly as I would like.  My husband thinks it is because I am changing colors all the time and I think he is right.  I will use multiple colors in the border as well, so I guess I'd better get used to moving slowly for the foreseeable future.

Happy March to you all.  Won't be long before we turn the clocks ahead again.  Hooray!





4 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Wowza! I love this rug! Even if it isn't an original idea...you've nailed it! Would you be willing to share your background recipe? I think it's great. Super job!
Courtney

Julia said...

I agree with Courtney, you've nailed it. It looks great.
I've got so many worms that could be used up in a rug like this.

Cathy G. said...

That is a NEAT fun rug! I can imagine how you must have to concentrate a little more than on some rugs! Love the colors you are using! Keep on hooking I can't wait to see this one finished!
Cathy G

Anonymous said...

Very nice! What a great combination of designs. I am sure it is slow to hook; lotsa rows of stripes. ;-D