Friday, September 27, 2013

Fall

The air was crisp and the sky overcast when Cairo and I walked the beach this morning.  I noticed leaves falling for the first time and realized I had, once again, missed the last swim of the season.  I am sure the water is still warm enough for a quick dip, but the air is way too chilly for me.  I am always a little wistful when I realize I didn't take advantage of the last hot day to say goodbye to the bay for another year.

The cooler temperatures have led me back to the kitchen.  I made turkey vegetable soup the other day, and last night, this easy and delicious one-dish meal from Jamie Oliver: One-Tray Bake. Yummy!  Pete couldn't stop eating the garlic cloves and bits of bread.  I made a sour cream apple pie with a crumb top, too, but it was way too sweet for me.  (I'm really a crust girl -- the filling takes a back seat my  pie crust.)  Peter loved it, though.  We've also been canning tomatoes for the winter and I made a tomato marmalade, once again, a little too sweet for me.  I think I'll give it for gifts at Christmas.  My next thing is Jamie Oliver's tomato chutney (that's how I found the One-Tray Bake).  I'm hoping it will be a good accompaniment for cheeses and meats.


I've spent the last couple of days working on a new kit: Farmhouse Star -- named for Farmhouse Quilt Company in Southold, New York, where I will be teaching a class on November 9.  Janet and I met years ago at a craft show and got re-acquainted at the Eastern Long Island Quilters Quilt Show back in the spring.  She and her daughter Lindsay are anxious to learn how to hook, so we have set up a Saturday class.  For more information or to sign up, you can contact Janet at j-heins@hotmail.com.  I know it will be a fun day.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

LOVE your new star design - hit & miss styled rugs always grab me. We had snow in SLC yesterday - I have a feeling we're in for a crazy ride over the winter!

The Swipefile said...

Appreciate your bloog post