Monday, April 13, 2015

Out of the Loop

I have been out of the loop -- the blogging loop, the hooking loop, the everything loop.  Spring has finally arrived -- the osprey are back on their nest, the tulips and daffodils are about ready to pop, the sun is shining more, but I have spent the last two and a half weeks locked indoors.  On the same day my husband left for a two week trip to the family sugar bush in Wisconsin, I came down with the worst head cold ever.  It started with a headache and a scratchy throat and just got progressively worse.  Thankfully, I have good friends who kept me supplied with soup and soufflé -- thank you Paula & Ann, thank you Osinski family!

I kept myself busy -- when I wasn't sleeping -- dyeing wool, thinking the moisture the pots produced would help clear my sinuses.  I was dyeing to match colors in some quilting fabrics, so that Janet at Farmhouse Quilt Company and I can tag team teach a matching quilt and hooked rug.  I think I finally succeeded.  Now I need to hook the rug.

I also spent some time on Pinterest and ebay.  My sister Barb sent me a link to an auction of a Grenfell mat, supposedly from the walls of the Dog Team Tavern in Middlebury, Vermont, which burned to the ground several years ago.  (I have a small but prized collection of Grenfell mats.  If you don't know about them, check out Paula Laverty's book Silk Stocking Mats.)  I didn't bid on that rug, but it led me to another -- a woodland scene with a moose, hooked with stockings but not labelled "Grenfell". I'm sure it is Canadian, not sure it is a Grenfell.  Didn't care -- my finger hit the Buy it Now button without me even telling it to!


Now I'm prepping for the first show of the year: 

106th ANNUAL CONNECTICUT SHEEP, WOOL & FIBER FESTIVAL

Saturday, April 25, 2015


Rain or Shine

9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Tolland Agricultural Center

Route 30, Vernon/Rockville, CT


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Not my first year at CT Sheep & Wool but it is my first year as a hooker. It will be fun to see your booth!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

Talk about being hit when down. So sorry you've been so sick. I hope that you're on the mend and getting back your strength. You've kept yourself busy just the same.

So glad that Spring weather is finally here.
Have a good week.
Hugs,
JB

Debbie M said...

What do you mean by the family sugar bush??? I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt and rug patterns - I'm sure they will be wonderful!