Friday, September 11, 2009

Brimfield Antique Market

Pete and I spent yesterday in Brimfield, Massachusetts at the famous antique market. It's held three times a year, in May, July and September. I've wanted to go for years, and since we were still in need of a dining room table, we got up early, got on a ferry and headed north.

We had a rocking and rolling ferry ride over to New London -- a storm that continues to blow as I write this was making great rolling waves toss the huge boat around. When we were once again on solid ground we meandered through eastern Connecticut, ending up in Brimfield just before noon.

The antiques market is huge. We only managed to hit four or five fields before having to head back to New London to make our 5 o'clock ferry reservation home. There were not many antique tables large enough for us for sale, and the few that were available were too fancy and too expensive. We finally found a table that was newly made from old wood that appealed to both of us -- and that cost less than the hideous new Ikea table we tried a few weeks ago. So we bought it.

We were pretty single-minded about finding a table and chairs, but I managed to take some photos of the hooked rugs for sale. I thought they'd be a visual treat for my rug hooking friends. So here they are.









2 comments:

Tammy Burks said...

Oh wow! What fun!!! Thanks for all the rug pictures....very inspirational. I'd love to have an old....or not old...big geometric. I always think I'll make one, but I'm afraid I'd lose my mind from boredom. I just LOVE that look soooo much!

Gayle said...

Great old rugs - it looks like several of them were quite large? Hope you share pictures of your new table with us soon!