Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Calm Before the Frankenstorm


We have been battening down the hatches all weekend, waiting for Hurricane Sandy (same name as the neighbor who routinely mows down my day lilies . . . ) to arrive.  It looks like we are in for a lot of water, even if it is a category one storm.  The tide surge is supposed to be epic, what with high tide and the full moon.  The foreground of the photograph above should be paved road, not water.  Who knows what it will look like tomorrow?

Our neighbors are out in force, picking up and tying down and packing away.  I picked one last bunch of zinnias for the kitchen and Pete has been harvesting veggies all day: eggplant, green beans, carrots, even a few pale tomatoes.  We will certainly have plenty to eat, even if the power goes out.  We had planned on buying a generator to run the fridge and freezer after Hurricane Irene last year, but, of course, we never got around to it.  

Now I am sitting at my work table, about to start hooking for the first time in a week and a half.  I have three more shows this year, and I need to restock.  I will get the dye pots out tomorrow.  Thankfully, we have a gas stove and I can cook even without electricity.  I don't know what this will mean for the New England Fiber Festival next Saturday and Sunday.  Springfield was hit hard during Irene last year.  Oh, well.  It is all out of our control, so I will just wait and see.  Barb, who lives near the shore in Connecticut, has evacuated to my nephew's house.  Her neighborhood was flooded last summer and she's not taking any chances.  Hopefully any damage anywhere will be minimal.

Have a safe and dry Sunday.

2 comments:

Tammy Burks said...

Stay safe!

Julia said...

Sarah, you seem to be well prepared for the storm. I hope that everything will be OK and that there's no damage or loss.
Stay safe and dry and keep that hook busy.

JB