Monday, January 24, 2011

Another Successful Hook In

Despite the frigid temperature and the snow that just won't melt, we had a great hook in on Saturday.  I thought I took a lot of pictures, but they were mostly in my head.  I guess I was too busy eating to take pictures, or to hook.  I started yawning after lunch and didn't get anything much accomplished.  I discovered I can't talk and hook at the same time.    Every time I opened my mouth to talk, I put my hook down.  Barbara kept telling me to keep hooking, but it didn't help.
We had quite a comfort food smorgasbord.  I brought shells stuffed with butternut squash and spinach.  Jen brought kielbasa and sauerkraut in the crock pot.  Loretta brought the best mac and cheese I have had in ages.  I had a ten minute debate with myself about what I wanted more -- another helping of mac and cheese or a piece of June's chocolate cake, made from a 1953 McCall's magazine recipe.  (The cake won out -- chocolate always wins with me.)  Lucille brought a chicken and red cabbage dish, Barbara some guacamole and chips.  Susan made vegetarian chili.  There were marinated mushrooms and little balls of mozzarella with tomatoes and black olives.  New hooker Bea brought shrimp salad.  Eleanor made cheesecake.  Sally made a cranberry loaf.  OMG.  We all ate too much.  I was glad Pete was away skiing -- I didn't have to make dinner Saturday night.

We're lucky enough to be able to meet in the basement of the Presbyterian Church in Cutchogue  during the winter.  It is sunny and bright with lots of tables and chairs.  Too bad there aren't any hammocks -- I really wanted to take a snooze after lunch.

We're having another hook in on February 19, so if you want to partake of good food and conversation, gain a little weight and not get any hooking done, join us!

3 comments:

Cathy G. said...

I'd be there in a heart beat if I lived closer! I'd be wanting a nap too after all that lovely food!
The snowman rug is adorable! Is that what you are hooking? If I may ask did you design it? Super cute!
Cathy G

chelsea said...

Thanks for this wonderful blog, I enjoyed reading!



Office 2010 | Seattle Homes

Unknown said...

Besides being a talented hooker, writer, cook, hostess and photographer and scrabble player......You are so funny! Can't hook and talk at the same time pssshaw!